Monday, July 08, 2013

parkrun PB and some inspiration

My wife and I went and did a parkrun on the weekend, and we both got PBs which is great.  I finished in 21:32 and was 27/142 with an age grading of 62% which I'm really pleased with.  This time is nearly 90seconds quicker than my first attempt on 8th June and nearly 30 seconds quicker than my previous official PB of 22:05 on 15th June.  I do have my eye on getting a 20.xx as I think I should be able to do that on a flat course, and I under Barnstaple parkrun is flat so I'm thinking of heading there soon to see what I can do there.

I have recently finished a great book; Running with Kenyans, by Adharanand Finn.  It is a great book, but I wanted to blog about one particular section.  I know that runners are often asked "Why do you do it?"or "What's the point?" and I think a couple of paragraphs in one section of Finn's book really stand out for me to help explain this.
"As humans, on a basic level, we get hungry, we sleep, we yearn for love, we run.  Just watch small children left unsupervised to play.  They can't stop running.  It is part of what makes us human."
I'm not sure if I should directly quote much more but it is a great book, and Finn was interviewed over two recent episodes of marathonTALK which I also think is definitely worth a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment